There are two main ways gemstones are used on chakras — placement on a single chakra at a time or placement on all chakras at once. One can experiment to see what works best for them.
Chakras are the 7 main energy centers of the body according to Eastern medicine.
They are in the center of the body, starting at the base of the spine and running up to the top of the head.
- Root/Base Chakra
- Sex/Navel Chakra
- Stomach/Solar Plexus Chakra
- Heart Chakra
- Throat Chakra
- Brow/Third Eye Chakra
- Crown Chakra
To find a chakra:
- Use a gemstone and circle front of body in alarge circle over where a chakra should be
- many gemstones will work — but I find Black Onyx easiest
- one can do this without a gemstone after practice but using a gemstone makes it much easier
- Slowly decrease the size of circle following the energy.
- With Black Onyx, you can feel where the Chakra is by where you place it on your body. One’s body will tingle where chakras are.
- Other gemstones can be more subtle. The gemstone simply feels like it is being lead to the Chakra.
Often one simply wants to work on a single chakra. Simply place a gemstone or strand of gemstones on a Chakra and keep them there from 3-25 minutes. I prefer using clear optical quality quartz on chakras. However, here are the stones that others recommend on each chakra.
- Root/Base Chakra: Black Onyx/Obsidian
- Sex/Navel Chakra: Carnelian
- Stomach/Solar Plexus Chakra: Citrine
- Heart Chakra: Rose Quartz/Ruby
- Throat Chakra: Indigo (translucent Sodalight)/Purple Rainbow Fluorite
- Brow/Third Eye Chakra: Amethyst/Aquamarine/Lapis Lazuli/Clear Quartz
- Crown Chakra: Amethyst/Clear Quartz
One can always substitute clear quartz sphere or strand of frosted quartz for any chakra. Other people have different charts. Experiment. Find what works best for you! If a stone ever feels very uncomfortable, I recommend removing it.
Another way to do single chakra therapy is to take a single stone and sequentially work your way up the chakras. Ie. put malachite on your root chakra for 3-5 minutes; then on your sex chakra for 3-5 minutes, etc. This teaches you multiple things:
- How a stone feels on each chakra
- Which chakra it works best on (or does it feel good on all)
- If the stone works well on more than one chakra
My favorite gemstone to do this with is emerald (a 2″ ring of beads works GREAT). My clients have found this very healing.
The easiest therapy is to take 7 clear quartz spheres or 7 strands of frosted quartz and place them on all your chakras – starting at the base chakra and working your way up. Let them stay on your chakras for 5-25 minutes. Remove the strands in the opposite order — starting from the crown chakra. You may wish to wear a strand of frosted quartz when done to help maintain your balance.
I have tried this therapy w/ spheres and strands of several types of gemstones. When using other gemstones, I recommend using with spheres.
- I tried this once with strands of black opal and it was very overwhelming.
- Green Aventurine felt healing but didn’t help nearly as much as putting it directly on an organ that needed it.
- Amethyst was very uplifting — but it seemed to be much better on the higher chakras singly or directly on an organ such as stomach or liver
- Rose quartz felt good — but my body wanted more rose quartz on heart chakra than on other chakras
- Rhodocrusite was too strong for me. Try it for a very very short time (15 seconds) on a single chakra. Always follow it by something soothing/healing.